MatchWorks is tackling youth unemployment head on with its XLR8 program.
Over a four-week period, job seekers aged 15 to 21 years learn how to engage with their local community and gain skills and confidence to overcome barriers to finding a job.
Participants leave the program with improved self-esteem and charged with the know-how to find traineeships and/or meaningful long-term work.
On the right track
MatchWorks’ XLR8 courses deliver:
- support and mentoring for job seekers
- motivational guest speakers to talk about nutrition, fitness, legal issues, licensing and training courses
- increased self-esteem and motivation to work
- increased self-awareness and transferable skills
- presentations on how to use technology to search and apply for work
- advice on developing effective resumes, application letters and interview techniques
- individual guidance on developing realistic and achievable employment goals
- interview clothing and haircuts, if needed
- opportunities to meet with employers and apprenticeship providers.
An added bonus of the XLR8 program is the chance to take part in a Karingal Training hospitality skill set course.